Tuesday, April 24, 2012

French Style Nymphing with a Czech Twist

I have long ago found the French nymphing style a useful backup option for the times when fish are not responding to the dry fly. It has served me well especially in the very early and very late parts of the season, when the water is cold and fish reluctant to rise.

I have recently come to have doubts about the "Frenchness" of my approach: I was taught the technique by true masters, who surely forgot more about nymph fishing than I can ever hope to learn. But while all of them knew well the way of the nymph none were particularly strong in foreign languages, and I am positively sure none of them understands a word in French. So the technique I am about to describe might have been French at its start, but has passed through so many Czech hands that I am unsure how much of its origin remains.

The key part of the technique is the indicator. Unencumbered by the arcane requirements of the FIPS Mouche competition rules I have found that the simplest home made indicator works the best for me. I am using a short length of braided Dacron fly line backing in bright orange color. It has a perfection loop tied on each end and when treated with red Mucilin it floats like a piece of cork.


The indicator is loop to loop attached to a level 0.30 mm Stroft monofilament leader some 6 meters long. The weight of the indicator and flies attached is sufficient to cast this leader to the distance of around two rod lenghts, which is OK for my kind of fishing.

At the other loop is attached the tippet, again using the reliable loop to loop connection. For most of my fishing I am using 0.16 mm Fluorocarbon tippet. I try to avoid lighter tippets for nymph fishing whenever possible, as any bottom snags with a 7X tippet are likely to result in loss of whole team.


On the tippet I tie my team of flies. I always fish with two flies, a heavier one on the point and a smaller one on dropper. I adjust the length of my tippet according to the depth of the water I fish, aiming for approximately one meter long tippet in knee deep water.

The point fly serves several purposes - it adds weight to the team so I can cast it further, helps to straighten the leader and drags the lighter fly to river bottom. Actual fish catching is secondary. The smaller fly on dropper does most of the work and accounts for about two thirds of the fish taken.

An example of the point fly is the Heron Goldie fly above, tied with 3.3 mm Tungsten bead.


Examples of the dropper flies are a #16 Motley Turkey nymph with a 2.4 mm Brass bead and a #18 Crane feather nymph with a 2.0 mm Brass bead.

All the flies are tied to similar pattern - tail of rooster hackle fibers, contrasting tag of pink, orange or chartreuse thread, body of nondescript color with a furry thorax and a metal bead. I tie my point flies with Tungsten and the dropper ones with Brass - the additional weight of the dropper fly is small, but the difference between cost of a Brass and Tungsten beads is large.


I found that the choice of fly rod for nymph fishing matters less that the tackle manufacturers would like us to believe. Fly fishermen who specialize in nymphing like to use long wimpy rods - 10' to 11' in length of the AFTMA class 2 or 3. These indeed do the job, but are impractical for any other fly fishing technique, especially if overhanging vegetation is involved.

I have the French leader and a box of beadheads stowed in reserve in my fly fishing bag, and whenever situation demands so I rig them on my 8'6" AFTMA 4 class dry fly rod. There are times when I wish for a longer reach, but overall this method serves me just fine.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting I to use a 9ft 4wt for my nymphing personally I think the recent trend for the czech nymph has led many to adopt the same rod length generally and regardless of practicality . Also like you I prefer bead heads to be non brass colour. I think the fish are seeing far to many brass coloured flies..

    great blog..

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy!

      I agree with your comment on fashion trends in fly rods.

      In my honest opinion the key factors in nymph fishing are:
      1) knowing your river and fish holding spots
      2) controlling the drift of your cast
      3) choosing the right fly
      4) having the right rod & reel
      in this order of importance. Unfortunately it is very hard to buy experience and much easier (and more fun) to buy new tackle

      Cheers!

      J.

      Delete
    2. Jindra, When I was fishing the Dove this winter, I tried the braid method with 'Berkley Fireline' below the water surface and a very heavy point fly (4mm, 3mm & 2mm on the same fly). It worked a treat for me.

      Paul

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous flies, Mr. Jindra! What an amazing blog you have! I really enjoyed my visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kostis, I appreciate your support!
      Cheers!
      J.

      Delete
  3. Only just read this post - 6 months after you wrote it! Excellent stuff Jindra - really interesting and informative...and your nymphs are superb!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt!

    dry fly is my favorite method by far, but necessity had forced me to learn some nymphing tricks. It seemed a fun idea to share some of them :)

    Cheers!

    Jindra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use something very similar when fishing the higher reaches of the Welsh Dee and they are absolutely dynamite! They are a pleasure to tie and fish with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, these are simple things but they do the trick
      Cheers!
      J.

      Delete
  6. Jindra, I just found this site and it is very interesting and helpful. I like the use of both brass and tungsten on the same rig. I love nymph fishing and I just started to use that backing sighter. I made one using a needle and pulling the backing through itself this forms a neat small loop. Then hit it with a small drop of crazy glue. You can try to GOOGLE building a backing sighter. Hope it helps. Great site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jake,

      I appreciate your comments. It is almost two years since I wrote this article, but it remains one of the most popular on my blog to this date.

      I do make my indicator (or sighter as you call it) from line backing myself. I found I like it better than the colored monofilament things the FIPS competitors use - which is no surprise, as they are not allowed to use backing in their leader setup and so they have to make do with what is legal according to their rules.

      The needle method is very good for neat tiny loops - this is the way that the braided connectors are made - but for some reason I like the big loops that are the result of a perfection loop more. They are certainly more useful for making a loop to loop connection with numb fingers in a cold weather, which is my typical nymphing situation - in warm weather I am more likely tempted to stick with a dry fly :)

      Cheers!

      J.

      Delete
  7. Jindra,

    What portion of the leader is kept off the water? Everything to the sighter, or is the full length left to drift?

    Trev

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trev,
    the whole thing is on the water, including about a meter of line above the sighter. That way you can detect even small tugs on your cast.
    Cheers !
    J.

    ReplyDelete